Full Conference Program Announced!
StormCon 2022 is the industry's leading conference on advancing the science and practice of stormwater management, will feature the following six unique topics:
- Green Infrastructure
- Flood Modeling & Mitigation
- Programs, Permits and Compliance
- Transportation & Construction Stormwater
- BMP Monitoring
- Industrial Stormwater Management
This topic showcases examples of green infrastructure and low impact development (LID), practices that strive to maintain or mimic the predevelopment hydrology of a site by infiltrating, storing, filtering, and evaporating stormwater runoff rather than moving it offsite to a centralized stormwater system.
- Infiltration and bioretention practices
- Rain gardens
- Green roofs
- Porous pavement
- Maintenance of green infrastructure practices
- Rainwater harvesting and stormwater reuse
Flood Modeling & Mitigation
If a picture is worth a thousand word, a model is worth a million. This topic will focus on cutting edge tools and technologies for designing stormwater infrastructure based on hydrology models.
- 1D, 2D and 3D modeling
- Flood plain simulation
- Drainage sizing/design
- Flood risk assessment
- Regulatory considerations
Programs, Permits & Compliance
This topic covers the various aspects of complying with municipal stormwater permits as well as funding, staffing and managing municipal and state stormwater programs.
- Funding opportunities, such as bonds, development impact fees, and enterprise funds
- Creating and managing a stormwater utility
- Stormwater credit trading
- Public-private partnerships
- Asset management
- Hiring, training and managing staff
- Strategies for meeting NPDES permit requirements
- Building public education and outreach programs
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination programs
- Reporting requirements
- Program audits
Transportation & Construction Stormwater
Roads, bridges, highways, airports and ports convey not only goods and people but also stormwater runoff, transporting pollutants in the process. Sessions in this topic will address concerns at these locations, as well as active construction sites, and offer strategies for addressing challenges.
- Stormwater BMPs for transportation/construction sites
- Programs and management
- Illicit discharge detection/elimination
This technical topic discusses methods for evaluating and comparing the effectiveness of best management practices, as well as topics and trends in stormwater research, such as standardizing testing protocols and standards.
- Performance standards and testing protocols
- Evaluating BMP performance
- Characterizing pollutant loads
- Fate and transport of pollutants
- Water-quality modeling
- Sampling tools and techniques
- Bacterial detection and identification techniques
*Please note that descriptions of technologies or proprietary BMPs must be accompanied by supporting performance data. If your presentation deals with one or more BMPs, especially with proprietary systems, your abstract must indicate what supporting data the presentation will include.
Industrial Stormwater Management
This topic covers industrial stormwater management and permitting, focusing on publicly and privately owned facilities covered by industrial stormwater permits or EPA’s stormwater multi-sector general permit. Such facilities range from small businesses located in urban areas, such as restaurants and automotive repair shops, to large sites such as manufacturing plants, transportation facilities, landfills and waste transfer stations, and mining operations.
- Managing stormwater at industrial and manufacturing facilities
- Stormwater management in the mining industry
- Concerns for oil and gas facilities
- Transportation activities: airports, ports, and fleet maintenance facilities
- Managing stormwater on active landfill sites
- Selection, installation, and maintenance of stormwater management systems on closed landfill sites
- Storage and handling of hazardous waste
- Inspecting industrial sites for stormwater compliance
- Integrating industrial stormwater operations with municipal permits